sandberggirls

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Missing their Papa

My dad is my children's "Papa". They love their Papa! He does all the funny things with them that he used to do with my sister and I when we were kids.

My dad never ran out of songs to sing in the car. He'd break out his best singing voice for "Five Little Speckled Frogs" or "On Top of Spaghetti". We never needed HD radio when the three of us were in the truck. We always rode in style, and in tune to our favorite kids songs.

My dad was a master magician. He could make coins come out of our ears and buckeye nuts disappear quick-as-a-wink. He could even pull your nose right off of your face between his two fingers. He'll show you, too, just ask him.

My dad's "selective hearing" has always made him the funniest guy in town. He'd recount a story he'd heard at the bowling alley with not even one correct piece of information. When we told him we had got "new shoes", he asked to see which one was our "loose tooth". He was totally serious, but we'd double over laughing at what made no sense at all.

My dad's idea of fun was going to the park for the evening, spending time with his mother (love you grandma!), gushing about my mom's good cooking while he finished off his second plate, and cheering us on at every sporting event we participated in.

He's such a great dad. And a great Papa, too! Which is why my girls miss him so much.

So much, in fact, that they've taken up acting like him... which can be scary, at times (in a silly way, of course).

Like the other day: Audrey and I had mixed up some muffins, and put them in the oven while we ate dinner. The oven beeped, JJ pulled the muffins out of the oven, and tipped the muffin pan towards the table for all to see. "Lookie," he said. "Ohhhh," we replied. When Mallory had cleaned her plate, she said, "I'm ready for a cookie." We all looked at each other strangely. Where on earth did she come up with that? "Lookie", "cookie". Oh boy! Looks like Papa's genes are running through her blood. Wasn't she sad to learn there were no cookies!

And on the very same day: The girls and I went to the grocery store (don't try this on your own... ever) and on the way home. I hear this conversation in the back of the car:
Audrey: "Look Mallory."
Mallory: "What is it?"
Audrey: "It's your nose. I got it in my fingers. See?"
Mallory: "Where is it?"
Audrey: "Right hear. See? I got your nose."
I just laughed to myself, and remember when I was two and my sister was four. I'm sure my dad had taught that to us by that age, too. And, in a funny way, I'm glad my kids know that trick! In fact, I hope they can learn many more silly tricks from their Papa.

Yes, that's right, my kids love their Papa. They miss their Papa. And more and more lately, they act like their Papa.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home